Partnership geared to helping local business
Story By Isabel Hughes
Published January 23, 2020
As multiple National City developments are underway, the National City Chamber of Commerce and RISE San Diego are partnering to launch a Business Empowerment
Academy with the goal of helping local business owners and entrepreneurs succeed amid economic growth.
The wheels are turning on multiple National City projects including Market on 8th, a food hall with more than 10 restaurants set to open this spring, and 8th & B, a multi-use complex offering housing and dining options expected to open in June 2021.
On Tuesday, National City also officially began the process to open an educational hub with UCSD in 2021.
With these new establishments that are projected to drive National City’s economy, National City Chamber of Commerce President Jacqueline Reynoso said the city wants to prevent gentrification and ensure that National City’s business owners aren’t displaced.
“We thought the best way to approach that was to empower them through a series of education workshops and seminars and learning activities where they could work on their business instead of in their business — just kind of taking a step back,” Reynoso said.
RISE San Diego founder Dwayne Crenshaw said what separates the Business Empowerment Academy from other classes business owners can take to improve their business is the fact that it’s based on real lived experiences of grassroots business owners of color.
The program consists of a total of 10 sessions covering a variety of subjects, from time management to budgeting to human relations management and talent development.
- Time Management – Feb. 4, 6 p.m.-8 p.m.
- Board + Commissions Leadership & Social Innovation – Feb. 11, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Budgeting & Finance – Feb. 15, 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- Access to Capital – Feb. 25, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Lead Business Canvas – Feb. 29, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Marketing & Public Relations – March 10, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Building Your Business Plan – March 14, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- HR Management & Talent Development – March 24, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Pitch Consulting & Practice – March 28, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Pitch Event – April 7, 5 p.m.-9 p.m.
To register for the Business Empowerment Academy, visit www.nationalcitychamber.org.